No doubt, pests and man are long-term enemies. The reason for this is not far-fetched- pests are destructive.
In the US and other countries in Europe, most houses are built with wood; therefore, termites and carpenter ants might be their regular visitors if left unchecked.
When you look at both pests’ chemistry, their shells consist of bulb chitin; in fact, they have a similar wing size (small wings) and body appearance.
Also, you must know that carpenter ants do not eat wood; instead, they construct a tunnel inside the wood to form a shelter. Termites, on the other hand, eat and digest wood cellulose.
Here are some distinguishing body factors that will help you differentiate between a termite and a carpenter ant:
- It consists of a head and a thorax
- The antenna is straight
- It possesses four wings of the same size, which are longer than its whole body
- It is reddish. They also look transparent.
• Carpenter ants
- It has three body segments- the head, thorax, and the abdomen
- They have two forewings and two hind wings. The forewings are bigger
- They are either dark or red
- Carpenter ants’ antennas are not straight; they are bent
How do you prevent termites and carpenter ants?
- Separate and dispose any decayed or wet materials (e.g., woods)
- If your roof or your pipe is leaking, ensure you fix it
- The distance of your wood to your soil should be at least 18 inches
- Ensure your house is not covered or close to vegetation or mulch. If it is, please clean up the surroundings.
How can you kill termites and carpenter ants?
- Get nematodes (worms) and release them on those places where the termites do feast. The nematodes will consume them in no time
- Combine a half cup of vinegar with some quantity of lemon juice. Transfer the mixture into a spray bottle and spray it on the termites.
- Locate the carpenter ants’ nest and sprinkle the abode with pyrethrin aerosol
- If you cannot locate the nest, you can prepare a poisonous bait and mix it with something attractive like sugar. They would come out to feast on the bait.
Do the right thing today and keep your house, building, or properties in the right shape.